With a team of 15 people, we completed over 100 shots in roughly 2 months. Those shots ranged from tiling out armies of soldiers, CG tanks, CG explosions and combining explosion elements together with soldiers that were either running or jumping and a sequence of helicopters that needed snow and fog added.
The goal of this shot was to establish a greater distance between the soldiers and the base than what was originally shot. We needed to also amp up the intensity and numbers of the army. We started by extracting portions of the plate and pushing them back into a digital matte painting (DMP) element provided by ILM. Once we had built those two key pieces, we added CG tanks, then took a couple dozen green screen elements and tiled them out to become several hundred soldiers. For continuity, we also added several fires and smoke stacks.